Only the pure in heart can make a good soup ~ Beethoven
One of the best things about winter is hearty homemade soup as there’s nothing better to warm your soul on a cold day. Soups are so simple to make and this one is no exception, in fact this recipe contains only leek, potatoes, stock and milk and yet it’s brimming with anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. The optional, naughty bacon and cheese topping gives the soup a decadent twist when serving.
Being pure in heart and all (according to Beethoven), I’m sure this fail-safe and delicious leek and potato soup will win the hearts of your loved ones and is the first of many great soup recipes I hope to share over the coming winter months.
60g Olivani margarine (or butter if you’re that way inclined)
2 chopped leeks
2 large potatoes, cubed
3 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup trim milk (or cream)
salt and pepper
Crispy bacon bits and tasty cheese for garnish
- Melt margarine or butter in a large pot on the stove, add chopped leeks and cook until soft.
- Add stock and chopped potatoes – bring to the boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in milk.
- Season with a decent amount of salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool and then use a stick blender to purée.
- Reheat to serve hot.
- Sprinkle with crispy bacon bits and tasty cheese for garnish.
- Serve with crusty bread ~ Enjoy!